Here’s a short list of organisations offering generic advice or assistance about accommodation, benefits or immigration for Asylum Seekers & Refugees.
They should be starting points for looking for help for any asylum seeker or refugee about any issue. There are lots of smaller local groups or groups working with particular communities or issues, but this lot should be able to direct people onward to them as necessary.
All the agencies listed here should be able to signpost or make referrals to local or specialist organisations to assist with specific situations or issues if they can’t help.
- Asylum Help (National) Should be first point of contact. They are funded by the Home Office to help asylum seekers and refugees to access benefits and accommodation, they have offices around the country. They may not be able to do much if the migrant has no entitlement to HO support. http://asylumhelpuk.org/ 0808 8000 630
- Red Cross (National) have a national network of offices offering help and advice to asylum seekers and refugees http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Refugee-support/Where-to-find-us
- Asylum Aid (National) Telephone advice Tuesday 1pm-4pm http://www.asylumaid.org.uk 020 7354 9264
- Praxis (Mainly London) Drop-ins & phone line Tuesdays and Thursdays 2 – 4.30pm http://www.praxis.org.uk/advice-&-information-page-37.html 020 7749 7680
- Refugee Action (National) have offices in London, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool http://www.refugee-action.org.uk/get_help_advice/asylum_support_and_homelessness
- NERS (North East) Have a network of offices in North East England http://refugee.org.uk/
- WRC (Wales) http://www.welshrefugeecouncil.org/
- SRC (Scotland) http://www.scottishrefugeecouncil.org.uk/
- Refugee Council (National) Have some drop in services in London and have a searchable directory other organisations around the UK, it’s not very up to date but has masses of local contacts http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/how_can_we_help_you/i_need_destitution_support#
- City of Sanctuary (National) City of Sanctuary is a movement committed to building a culture of hospitality and welcome, especially for refugees seeking sanctuary from war and persecution. https://cityofsanctuary.org